Behavioral Based Safety
Behavior-Based Safety (BBS) is a bottom-up approach (frontline employees),with top-down support from safety leaders. A behavior-based safety approach promotes interventions that are people-focused and often incorporate one-to-one or group observations of employees performing routine work tasks, setting goals carefully and giving timely feedback on safety-related behavior, coaching and mentoring. The initiatives have a proactive focus, encouraging individuals and their work groups to consider the potential for incident involvement, (accidents) and to assess their own behavior as safe or unsafe always, no matter what.
Within BBS, behavior is explained in terms of the ABC model (Antecedent, Behavior, Consequence).
|A stimulus or event that occurs before a behavior in time. This stimulus or event may result in the behavior. Work examples include goals, policies, training, job aids, guides||Anything that we can see an individual do, or say||A stimulus or event that occurs after a behavior in time. This consequence could increase or decrease behavior in the future, depending on its reinforcing or punishing properties. Work examples include feedback, recognition, task completion, goal achievement, rewards.|
The benefits of BBS include:
- the focus of attention and recognition on both safe and at-risk behaviors
- the “permission” to provide feedback and learn from one another
- the opportunity to enable all colleagues to make a contribution toward safety
- fostering of open communication about safety issues
- a constant reminder of workplace safety
- lower incident rates
ErgoProlipsis is one of the first companies to design, implement and evaluate BBS systems in companies in Greece and abroad.
Specially trained associates undertake:
- Recording and evaluating corporate safety culture
- Behavioral Based Safety (BBS) system design
- Develop a communication campaign for business staff
- Training and participation in behavioral inspections
- Evaluation of conclusions
- Organizing teams to take corrective action
- Monitoring indicators and accidents